Now, only Marathi with foreign guests
Express News Service
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 0323 hrs IST
I am a Maharashtrian...domicile!! Do I need to prove my linguistic skills after living in this state for more than 15 years? You are not asking me to...but your other stated plans and direction makes me think so.
Agreed, every city and every state has its distinct culture and history. Definitely the junta needs to know that. But instead of spending time, money and effort at promoting the richness in culture...merely stressing on the fact that we need people to speak Marathi will not suffice.
Why should people speak in Marathi?
I mean...if we are so culturally rich and have hoards of history to cherish, it should make us all ' want to speak' in Marathi. Mumbai, and Maharashtra is unlike most other states. We are the financial capital of our country...we are the business hub. We are so accommodating in nature...we have even accomodated Ajmal Kasab, and seem to laud that even he comprehends and responds in Marathi. Sigh! Be it music, arts, sports or anything - we have the best of folks in every field. When I say folks...they may or may not be 'Marathi speaking'.
Then why? What is the dire need for stressing on Marathi? If it has to happen..it will happen naturally. Are we on some mission to reflect on our identity crisis ( that is if we are facing one, apparently)? Or is it that we don't want to embrace and accept the fact..that we are shallow?
You expect the whole world to know Marathi? I mean...Man you are saying this literally. Go France, people have started accepting English unlike before. The Japanese and Chinese are learning English because its the language of the world. And now..I can't imagine foreigners having Marathi interpretors!!! Are your indirectly saying....Marathi folks need different kind of a job. But since they cannot or rather do not want to learn anything new, or translate any other foreign language....Translating Marathi is THE option left!! Are you hinting that?
I am just trying to look at it from so many angles...and yet fail to understand your rationale.
I love Bombay, yeah...I still call it Bombay..any problem? I will always love this city..and also hate it for the varied list of nuisance factors.
But end of the day, I think I am a Maharashtrian. Can you prove it otherwise?
P.S: Purely my opinion!! Coz, its my opinion, my post!
8 comments:
This was two days back, that if you don't know Marathi - you don't get permit to drive taxi!
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/20/dont-know-marathi-no-taxi-permit-for-you-in-maharashtra.htm
I came across an article two days back saying that taxi driving permit won't be given if one doesn't know Marathi and our country calls Australians are racists. We are one of the most racist and intolerant countries in the world towards our own people, but become hyper-sensitive when we go outside our own country.
Thats " Maraterrorism "
our nation is full of idiots
this is happening in bangalore as well.. except it is for kannada. Buses are supposed to hv boards in kannada, thr is a move for vehicle number plates to be in kannada... why does language define a person? Just because somebody can speak few words of a language does it make them learn everything abt that language?
My cab driver speaks kannada but he knows shit abt the culture. are they trying to protect the language or the culture? or do they jus want print space?
and hey it is still bangalore for me too :-)
culture develops only when it grows. why don't these culture pundits know that?
We got rid of license raj, but it's sad that people think bombay needs a Raj License.
Its def ur post...but its not only ur opinion... itss otherss thinkingg too ...
Way to go...!!
Post a Comment