:---:

You are welcome to read my posts...
Warning: Contents may get your dormant grey cells activated!

November 10, 2006

Mathematics of hospitality

"Hello, Howa ya?" Followed by a sweet smile across her cute dimpled cheeks. In one instance, I knew she recognised me. The level of familiarity made me feel welcomed, as if I had graced their cordial invitation for dinner.It wasn't just becoz I had dined there occasionally. I noticed her serving each and every guest the same way.That's true hospitality in my sense of understanding. How often are people able to do that?Juggling with so many orders and checking on each table is not an easy job, that too without loosing one's cool.

She reminded me of my days at work earlier...where I was doing the same thing, but in a much bigger resort. Hospitality wasn't my industry ; I did the job coz it earned me a living. I was excited getting the job one always dreamt about as a student here, thanks to a friend' referal. I knew nothin about the job, I was trained from scratch. Inhibitons, apprehensions, perceptions and all possible synonyms could well summarise my whole expereince there.
Learning to clean tables and clearing plates was my first lesson! was there a need to learn that anyway? During the first week,I began to think if this is what I had dreamt for....Weeks passed.

Time for Xmas....seasonally considered good for the industry. My best time at work. Name a shift, and one was bound to get work then. It was so busy. Doing 700 covers an evening was normal. Ask me about it! Orders being taken at an amazing pace, an equally quick sprint to the bar...getting the cocktails n mocktails ready. Oh yes....my dear chefs...always waiting to pounce on the one writing unclear or wrong order codes!! Starting at 5....till about 9 pm, the restaurant would be like a house of maniacs running around.

While most orders were getting done, children needed to be treated like angels although some were messy monsters. Putting up a smiling face with some to pick up every piece of junk they spilt, giving them colors and drawings to let them express their creative best and being the most patient when they kept crying ..was only a part of my job. While the kids had their share of fun, the elders were no less. Some were there to relax and make merry. While some didn't let go their usual crib-factor! "oh..the food is bad..call the supervisor", "this isnt' fine...Iam unhappy"....blah blah. At that point, it was all a 'blah-blah' for me...coz how the hell was I supposed to make sure if the rice was cooked well? But I cudn't say...oh..its not my fault, its the chef....:)

Funny things would happen on the bussiest of days...wrong orders to wrong tables, breaking of plates, the drinks spilling on the guests and the list goes on. Despite all this, the perfect smile was to be worn all the time! and how could I forget, the supervisor spying at me from the corner of the big room if I was doing my job right! It was like living under a microscope.I wasnt really great at it...I remember how I would wait for the guests to go, or for the clock to turn 8.30, so that it was a little peaceful. But my supervisors and seniors would compliment me for my hardwork and thank me! I would forget all other bad things, just realising that I was indeed doing a good job.n then it was time for a long nite...before the dawn for the big breakkie again!!

Tonite's dinner and the girl's smile was just a multiplication of my experiences, an addition to her grace, a subtraction of all nuisance and a division of expressions! Although she wasnt in a mess as bad as I was, I appreciate her hardwork....coz it is a difficult job!