:---:

You are welcome to read my posts...
Warning: Contents may get your dormant grey cells activated!

April 23, 2009

You dont even know what I am going through!! (YDEKWIGT)

I was just wondering...how often we say this..." oh c'mon you dont even know what I am going through. so please..."
But how often is it that we try and change the context/tone in which  it is said? 99 out of 100 times we say it when we are in a mess..when life is just shit loads of confusion and chaos. And take it from me, its usually the one who is suffering or perceives his life as a suffering that uses this golden cliche. And to top it further, the dialogue flows from extreme domains of emotional status..( usually Dukhi creature to a content one).
How about trying to reverse this flow? Use this when we are in a happy state of affairs...with friends, when life seems happening, all is going great etc? Alright...Lets just imagine a few situations:-
1. My best friend is having trouble with his girlfriend while I am all sorted and my relationship is going great with my guy. Me telling him ' YDEKWIGT'...just because I am happy will invite answers like " So what", " What do you think I am supposed to do?", " Are you in your senses?
"..etc. Although he is my best friend, me trying to explain him my level of happiness will not work. It would be easier if I said " you know things are great between me and XYZ", " me and XYZ rock as a pair"...but frankly, that seems as a more taunting exclamation of my happiness against his pithy state of affairs!! Can't help it ....

2. Ok..given that the domains are parallel. Suppose I had a great day at work today..same as my other colleague. We go for a cuppa and I tell her (YDEKWIGT)...and she is most likely to go like this.." Honey, is everything okay?"She wouldn't even give me enough space to admit that I've infact had a marvellous day! Imagine if I tell her.." I am getting promoted"..she is sure to ask me what is wrong then. As if this expression only connotes negative feelings!

I dont read anything negative in the line " You dont even know what I am going through". Still, this when uttered forces the listener to reach a different level of understanding. Immediately the listener goes on to a mode of becoming an active-pacifier which is totally unwanted. I guess English language is rich in adjectives and adverbs and you are free to use as many as possible. Trouble is when you dont use any ..like in the statement "YDEKWIGT". Just replace it by saying " You dont know how happy I am", " You dont know how wonderful my day was"...and so on.

I remember one line from a bollywood movie that aptly fits here..' English is a funny language.I can walk English, I can talk English..'

No comments: